How often should you have your eyes examined?
Adults over 50 should have annual eye examinations. Many eye conditions develop with age and are “silent” conditions, in that they do not hurt and the vision change is imperceptibly slow. An annual exam will help to detect the changes at an early stage which aids treatment.
The eyes also lose focusing ability with age and an increase in reading strength is required every year or two.
When should I test my child’s eyes?
No child is too young to be examined, particularly if you suspect that there may be a problem. Even an infant can be examined if necessary to rule out squints and high refractive errors. Eye problems need to be diagnosed as early as possible to ensure that the vision system develops normally. Every child should have a full comprehensive examination (over and above a school screening) at the age of 5 to 7. This ensures that the vision system is well tuned for the demands of school and the learning process. Teenagers and young adults should generally have an eye examination done every two years.
What is the best way to clean my spectacles?
- Rinse spectacles under running water and clean with handsoap
- Use the Mullers microfibre cleaning cloth when cleaning in dry state
- For more stubborn soiling, use appropriate cleaning sprays
- When out and about, use pre-moistened lens cleaning wipes from Zeiss
- Ideally you should take your spectacles to your optician for cleaning in an ultrasound bath